If you choose to make use of space heaters or woodburning stoves, take the time to make sure they can be used safely. Steps can be taken to minimize the chance of a tragic fire loss.
There are a number of simple steps to make the use of space heaters safer. Adhere to the following:
- Use only Underwriter Laboratories (UL) approved heaters
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed
- If applicable, ONLY use fuel type specified by the manufacturer
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
- Inspect the heater to make sure it is operating properly and use heater ONLY as intended
- Heaters must automatically shut off after desired temperature is reached
- Heaters must automatically shut down in the event of a tip over
- Heaters must be kept at least three feet from all combustible materials
- Heaters must be monitored when in operation
- Only plug heaters into wall receptacles (never use an extension cord)
- Locate and use space heaters away from travel paths
- Do not use space heaters in bathrooms or kitchens
- Do not use portable space heaters if small children are present