Insurance education is the first and best resource for consumer protection. State insurance regulators encourage consumers to collect information, ask questions and check with their state insurance department before buying or changing policies. Insure U offers an array of tools to help consumers make smart insurance choices by providing information specific to life stage, life event or kinds of policies.
According to Consumer Reports, there is more than $1 billion in unclaimed and lost life insurance benefits in the U.S. Learn how to find a lost life insurance policy here: Finding A Lost Life Insurance Policy. You also may be able to use the Lost Life Policy Locator to search for a misplaced policy.
The NAIC is also working to help consumers understand insurance implications of retirement planning at all life stages. Insurance and financial consideration needs vary, so we’ve created a retirement security checklist, along with the tools and resources listed below.
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs)
SHIPs offer local, personalized counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families.
Consumer Alerts & Guides:
- Making $ense of Health Insurance After Retirement
- Insurance Considerations for Caregivers
- Tools for Retirement: Is an annuity right for you?
- Annuities and Veterans Pension Qualification
- Modern Families Have Unique Insurance Needs: Considerations for Multigenerational Households
- Buyer's Guide for Deferred Annuities
- Long-term Care Insurance Buyer’s Guide
- Choosing a Medigap Policy Guide
- Find Your State/Area Agency on Aging
- Official Social Security Website
- Social Security Calculators to Plan Your Future
- Administration on Aging
- Department of Labor: Making Your Retirement Look Great
- Department of Labor: What Do You Want Your Retirement to Look Like?
- 3 Easy Ways to Boost Your Retirement Savings
- Evaluating Your Retirement Options
- Medicare & You 2016
- Serve Our Seniors