Windows and Water Damage
A crack can limit this. A broken seal can create an area of moisture buildup. It does not take long for this to lead to problems. This includes water damage. The frame, insulation, the window itself, and the surrounding wall can be at risk.
Does Home Insurance Cover These Risks?
What Steps Should You Take?
- Check around them with your hand. Do you feel air moving through them? This is a sign of potential exposure. Find the leak and repair it.
- Look at the seals. There should be no breaks in the seals. Be sure to check the interior and the exterior of the windows.
- Consider the overall condition of the windows. Cracks or broken areas put your home at risk. If the windows are old, consider the value in replacing them. Make repairs as needed.
- Keep them debris-free. Wipe down the interior and exterior. Do not forget about the tracks.
- Consider upgrading to energy-efficient windows over time. This adds value to your home. It also helps lower your heating and cooling costs.