That unpredictable window of time between decision and crisis is why Insure U developed Get Ready resources. The new resource kits help consumers considering a major life event get smart about the insurance implications before a crisis occurs. The goal is to avoid hasty, uninformed and costly misunderstandings later.
While insurance needs vary greatly from person to person, Insure U has identified six common situations during which it's especially important to ask yourself the challenging questions:
- Wedding: Are you and your future spouse on the same page about providing financial support to family members, today and in the future?
- New Car: Beyond the sales price, have you thought through the other financial implications of making such a significant purchase?
- New Home: Whether renting or buying, are you equipped to handle the financial burden of an unexpected disaster affecting your home?
- New Parents: Are you prepared financially should your newborn have special medical needs? Or, custodial grandparents — do you understand your liability if your grandchild's friend is injured on your property?
- Job Change: What would happen to your family's finances should something catastrophic happen while you're between employers?
- Turning 50: Are you at risk of outliving your retirement savings?