While tornadoes can occur at any time of year if atmospheric conditions are right, March, April, and May are considered prime months for tornadoes to strike.
Tips and Reminders:
- Make a list of all valuables, furniture, electronics, etc., and photograph or videotape your possessions and store them in a safe place outside your home. If your home is damaged or destroyed in a natural disaster, it may be difficult for you to tell your insurance agent what you lost without proof.
- Check your insurance policy. Homeowners insurance does not offer protection against flood losses.
- You should check your policy under exclusions. Contact your agent or insurer to find out more about your coverage.
- Make sure you understand the difference between actual cash value (ACV) and replacement cost coverage for your contents and obtain the coverage that best suits your needs. An ACV policy replaces contents at cost minus depreciation. If you have replacement cost coverage, your possessions will be replaced at today's prices.
- If disaster strikes, contact your agent or insurance company immediately to start the recovery process.